Preparation and accomplishing a healthy and safe pregnancy begins a delightful life journey. Being the first and most important step in the obstetrical care, pre-conception care is the care that a woman receives before becoming pregnant. Pre-Conception Counseling is the meeting with OB/GYN specialist or most preferably with an obstetrician before pregnancy. Preconception counseling offers a woman or a couple the chances to talk over health concerns or questions about how to achieve the best pregnancy and the healthiest baby.
Pre-Conception Counseling basically includes the assessment of the woman’s health conditions, possible complications and risk factors and how they all can affect her and the unborn baby if pregnancy occurs. An early health evaluation and environmental risk valuation are critical to completing and upholding a healthy pregnancy. Optimally, a woman should have such assessments performed by her primary care physician or obstetrician/gynecologist at least three to six months prior to conceiving.
Here’s what you need to know all about Pre-Conception Counseling and why it is important in the obstetrical care:
Why is Preconception Counselling Important?
Preconception counseling plays the main role in arranging for a pregnancy.
In couples with a history of repeated early pregnancy loss, counseling is of precise importance because women are habitually more troubled and require encouragement that all possible is being done to elude future pregnancy harms. Since their succeeding pregnancies are more likely to be planned and these patients may be more willing to accept recommendations that have been offered to them, it turns out to be more significant to find which inquiries and interferences are the most helpful.
Some interventions extending from genetic testing to lifestyle changes and medications may have a constructive effect on the chances of an effective pregnancy.
Early pregnancy monitoring and support upsurge the chance of a live birth and benefits to forecast possible future pregnancy difficulties.
What Happens During your Preconception Visit?
Throughout your Pre-Conception Counseling appointment, your OB/GYN specialist will discourse a variety of concerns with you and your partner, if you have one. Matters of discussion can include:
- Hereditary circumstances that might be inherited by the baby
- Health conditions and apprehensions of the mother-to-be
- Preserving a balanced and healthy diet
- Harmless exercises for pregnancy
- Termination of tobacco products, alcohol, and other drugs
- Significant immunizations for both mother and child
- Ways for the partner to be sympathetic during pregnancy
- Any other concerns that the patient, partner or doctor might have
Seeing an obstetrics and gynecology specialist frequently throughout pregnancy is always essential. It is also just as significant to schedule time with your obstetrician and gynecologist to discourse various concerns before becoming pregnant. Preconception counseling can help you attain optimal health for you and your baby through your pregnancy.
What should useful tips be followed for a Healthy Pregnancy?
Food and diet play a vital role during pregnancy, so eating a healthy and balanced diet can help you to achieve a healthy and safe pregnancy and baby. Get some of the useful tips here to maintain a healthy eating:
Eating breakfast is mandatory:
- Try fresh ready-to-eat or cooked cereals with fruit in your breakfast because these fortified cereals contain essential nutrients, like calcium.
- If you feel uncomfortable or sick, you can eat whole wheat toast and later on you can eat more nourishing foods.
Start loving foods with fiber:
- Eat various fruits and veggies that are high in fiber such as bananas, melon, carrots and cooked greens.
- Eating beans, whole grains, oatmeal or brown rice gives you additional benefits.
Add fish to your meals:
- Avoid eating fish and shellfish that have high levels of mercury. So, never eat shark, king mackerel, tilefish or swordfish.
- You can eat tuna but choose a canned light tuna. Avoid albacore (white) tuna because it has more mercury.
- Include salmon, shrimp, and catfish in your diet as they are low in mercury.
A prenatal vitamin with folic acid and iron should be taken daily:
- Iron and folic acid should be taken during pregnancy because iron helps to keep the blood healthy and folic acid helps in preventing the birth defects.
Take healthy snacks:
- Eat a variety of healthy snacks that are low in fat or free of fat such as yogurt with fruits. The other option of snack can be whole grain crackers along with cheese, remember it should be low-fat or fat-free.
Avoid eating soft cheeses and raw, under-cooked food:
- You should avoid certain foods such as soft cheeses (Brie, feta, and goat cheese), raw or undercooked foods (fish, like sushi and meats) because they contain microorganisms that can harm your unborn baby.
Limit intake of caffeine and avoid alcohol:
- You can drink decaffeinated coffee or tea.
- Drink water or seltzer instead of soda.
- Don’t drink alcohol.
How can a husband help during pregnancy?
It is usually seen that the father-to-be experience stress and anxiety and so couldn’t be able to handle things during the pregnancy. This can be due to lack of knowledge about how the things should be taken care of throughout the pregnancy. But there is nothing to worry about as you read books and search online information about pregnancy, childbirth and the parenting skills to avoid this strain and enjoy the most beautiful time of your life.
Here are some more things that you can do:
- Go to all the medical appointments with your wife because, in this way, you can see the growth of your baby and in this way, you can give emotional strength to your wife.
- Accompany your wife in all the ultrasounds and other scanning tests. With this, you can get the very first glimpse of your unborn baby and you can also take the picture to your home.
- Join prenatal training classes with your wife to acquire how to be a good parent in future. These classes support you to learn the essentials of how to look after a baby.
- You can also go shopping with your wife for buying baby items. It’s better to start it early because you will need many things for your baby after the birth.
- Contribute to household chores. You need to understand that your wife needs the full support of her husband during this transformational process. Most importantly, she needs rest and complete understanding.
- Talk with your wife as much as you can because it helps both of you to overcome all anxieties and find ways to take care of each other.
- The expected mother can travel in the 1st and 2nd trimesters so what are you waiting for? Just book an enjoyable holiday with your wife.
- At last, just relish your new role as the “father-to-be”.
Contact Women Caring For Women for Pre-Conception Counseling in NY:
If you’re looking for an experienced and board-certified OB/GYN specialist in Staten Island, NY then Women Caring For Women is the right choice for you. Being highly reputable and recommended obstetrician and gynecologist in Staten Island, NY Dr. Eman Al-Janabi provides best Pre-Conception Counseling to every couple.
You can consult Dr. Janabi by booking an online appointment or call 718-630-1300 for an immediate reply.